Thursday, May 24, 2007

Obligatory first scarf

Like so very many of you, my first FO was also a scarf. However, unlike most, I did not choose a basic garter stitch but a ribbed, braided cable. How’s that for ambitious!



I was inspired by an episode of Knitty Gritty which featured reversible stitch patterns used to make a baby blanket. Making blocks out of several stitch patterns seemed easy enough and looked like a good learning opportunity. So, I casted on for the first pattern, the reversible braided cable. I liked it so much, that I just kept going. After a while, I realized that I had long since left the realm of a 12” x 12” block, but that I had made good progress towards a new scarf. After about 2.5 skeins worth of Patons Classic Merino in ‘Natural Mix’, the thing was as tall as am I (about 6’1”), and I decided to bind off. Note: there is a error in the charted pattern, so ignore the right side of the cabling pattern and use only the "12-st repeat" for all your cabling.



The 1x1 ribbing, while tedious in scarf length, makes the cabling reversible, so the scarf does not have a wrong side. Being my first knitting project, it is a little wonky in places when my gauge was inconsistent. I have held off on blocking though because I am afraid that it will stretch out the ribbing and lose some of the effect. And really, is a first FO supposed to look like anything other than a first FO?



I am off to Atlanta tomorrow to attend a wedding and to enjoy the long weekend out-of-town. I have a sock to keep me company on the flight. Here is a teaser shot until I can get out a full post.

No comments: