Saturday, June 30, 2007
So, I looked for yarn that would be more warm weather friendly and found a couple of bags of discontinued Jaeger Trinity at a great price on ebay. I decided to keep things simple this time around and cast-on for an EZ seamless sweater from Knitting without Tears. Right now I'm thinking it will be the saddle-shouldered construction, but the recipe lets you put off that decision.
I was able to get through the body rather quickly--stockinette in the round is good for that. So quickly in fact that I didn't even cast-on for the first sleeve, as a recommended traveling project, until I had finished. Well, I'm about six inches in, and I hate this sleeve. Trinity has pretty poor stitch definition and counting rows between increases is a pain. And I can't seem to find needles I like. First I used a 16" circular as recommended, but I simply cannot stretch 8" of non-wool knitting that far. I switched to metal dpns, but now I am getting laddering. ARGH!
So, what do I do? Cast-on for something else, of course.
Wednesday, June 13, 2007
Thursday, June 7, 2007
Tuesday, June 5, 2007
Sunday, June 3, 2007
Actually, this is a sweater for my pug, Kiwi.
While I like the Puppy Knits book I bought for pattern inspiration, I decided to branch out and design something myself. I wanted a cardigan type sweater that would close along her back. Kiwi previously had a fleece jacket with that sort of design and it was much easier to put on and take off of a squirmy pug.
Inspired by Avast by Jesse Loesberg, I decided to start with a cable base. After looking through several cable charts, I landed on the Besotted pattern (i.e., the XOXO pattern) posted on Hello Yarn.
I then picked up stitches and made the body in stockinette with 5x bobbles along one edge to make a closure. I made legholes by binding off a few stitches then knitting them back on a couple of inches later. Then, I made raglan style double decreases above the holes to shape for the neck.
So far, I have used 2 full balls of Berroco Keltic in 'Queen Anne' (#5864), but I need to get another ball to do an applied I-cord edging and to make the button loops. I should have this completed in the next day or so. As for how the sweater ended up on the vase, I was looking for an easy way to block the thing. I doubt Kiwi would tolerate being wrapped in wet wool all day.
And in the spirit of fair (pug) play, here is a photo of my other pug, Ozzie.
Friday, June 1, 2007
Thank goodness for Seamus.
Update: I got there in time to take advantage of the sale. Yea! In fact, I got there as they were closing up, and those crazy ladies stayed open an extra 30 minutes so that I could look through just about everything they had. Love them!
I nabbed some Berroco Keltic in 'Queen Anne' (#5864) and some unknown Chilean wool which are earmarked to become sweaters for the pugs using a pattern from the Puppy Knits book I also picked up. I also Reynolds Whiskey in 'Light Olive' (#103) with which I plan to
I used one skein of Austermann Step recommended by my LYS because it has aloe vera and jojoba oil added to the yarn. I could definitely notice an affect on my hands after knitting for a while. I chose the basic black/grey/white colorway (#22) and had a lot left over. For needles, I used bamboo dpns in size US1.5 (2.5mm).
There are way too many sock patterns out there. It can get a little overwhelming for a newbie. I primarily used Amy Swenson's 'Universal toe-up sock formula' from knitty.com for general pattern reference and for wrap & turn guidelines.
However, because I can never leave well enough alone, I made several modifications. First, I used Judy Becker's 'Magic cast-on for toe-up socks' also from knitty.com. I loved this cast-on because it allowed me to just knit away without any adjusting for provisional casting-on or sewing and gave a perfect, seamless toe. However, because I was using dpns instead of the suggested two circular method, the first few rounds were extremely cramped and not very fun.
When the time came to transition to the calf ribbing, I used the tip by TECHknitting. In my case, when going from stockinette to ribbing, you slip all knit stitches purlwise with the yarn in the back and purl as normal. This helps bridge the knit columns smoothly into the ribbing and makes a cleaner look. I used 2x2 ribbing, but the method should work for just about any kind of transition.
In finishing, I used Peggy's Stretchy bind-off method of adding increases in a K2, M1, P2, M1 pattern in the row before the bind-off row. These increases are then slipped instead of knitted while the other stitches are bound-off in pattern. This just adds a little more yarn for the cast-off making it a little more stretchy.
I also wanted to mention that I was able to take my knitting on the plane without any difficulty. Because I was using bamboo instead of metal needles, I felt more comfortable about getting them through security. I guess this isn't really surprising because I haven't heard of too many knitter being given grief by TSA or the airlines.