Sunday, June 3, 2007

I did not knit a vase cozy!

Okay, I kind of knitted a vase cozy.


Actually, this is a sweater for my pug, Kiwi.


While I like the Puppy Knits book I bought for pattern inspiration, I decided to branch out and design something myself. I wanted a cardigan type sweater that would close along her back. Kiwi previously had a fleece jacket with that sort of design and it was much easier to put on and take off of a squirmy pug.

Inspired by Avast by Jesse Loesberg, I decided to start with a cable base. After looking through several cable charts, I landed on the Besotted pattern (i.e., the XOXO pattern) posted on Hello Yarn.


I then picked up stitches and made the body in stockinette with 5x bobbles along one edge to make a closure. I made legholes by binding off a few stitches then knitting them back on a couple of inches later. Then, I made raglan style double decreases above the holes to shape for the neck.


So far, I have used 2 full balls of Berroco Keltic in 'Queen Anne' (#5864), but I need to get another ball to do an applied I-cord edging and to make the button loops. I should have this completed in the next day or so. As for how the sweater ended up on the vase, I was looking for an easy way to block the thing. I doubt Kiwi would tolerate being wrapped in wet wool all day.

And in the spirit of fair (pug) play, here is a photo of my other pug, Ozzie.

2 comments:

Mel said...

I do so adore pugs.

Shannon said...

Oh my goodness, Ozzie and Kiwi are so adorable! Kiwi will look fabulous in her sweater.